Government had made amendment in Finance (No.2) Act , 2019 by inserting sub-section 10 and 11 to section-49 of The Central Goods And Services Tax Act, 2017 on 30th Aug, 2019 which was supposed to be applicable w.e.f. 01st Jan, 2020 in accordance with Rule 87 of The CGST Rules, 2017. Sec 49 (10) and (11) are reproduced as below:
(10) A registered person may, on the common portal, transfer any amount of tax, interest, penalty, fee or any other amount available in the electronic cash ledger under this Act, to the electronic cash ledger for integrated tax, central tax, State tax, Union territory tax or cess, in such form and manner and subject to such conditions and restrictions as may be prescribed.
(11) States where any amount has been transferred to the electronic cash ledger under this Act, the same shall be deemed to be deposited in the said ledger.
PMT-09 is the relevant form for inter-transfer of amount in electronic ledger.However , it was not enabled in the portal. However, it is now being enabled.
Key points to consider before filing PMT-09:
- If the wrong tax has already been utilized for making any payment, then the challan is not useful, i.e when payment is done in the wrong head but not utilized.
- The challan only allows shifting of the amounts that are available in the electronic cash ledger.
- The amount once utilized and removed from cash ledger cannot be reallocated.
- Major head refers to- Integrated tax, Central tax, State/UT tax, and Cess.
- Minor head refers to- Tax, Interest, Penalty, Fee and Others.
How to access PMT-09 on GST portal?
GST PMT 09 form is on the portal and the taxpayers can transfer the available electronic cash balance to other tax heads, for example, SGST to CGST or penalty to interest, etc. In order for that, the taxpayer will have to login first then go to Services –>Ledgers–>Electronic Cash Ledger—> File GST PMT-09 For Transfer of Amount.