In line with the announcement made in the Union Budget 2020, Hon’ble Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on May 28, 2020 officially launched the “Instant Permanent Account Number (PAN) facility which uses Aadhaar number based e-KYC. The allotment process is paperless, and an electronic PAN (e-PAN) is issued to the applicants free of cost within 10 minutes, as part of the facility.
The launch of the instant PAN facility is yet another step by the Income Tax Department towards Digital India, thereby creating further ease of compliance to the taxpayers
Follow these steps to get your e-PAN card:
1. How to apply for e-PAN
- Go to the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department, click here to open
- Click the link ‘Get New PAN’.
- Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number in the space provided, enter captcha code and confirm.
- Submit the OTP generated on the Aadhaar linked mobile number.
- A 15-digit acknowledgment number will be generated. Please keep this acknowledgment number for future reference.
- Once allotted, you can download your e-PAN card from the portal.
- The e-PAN is also sent to the applicant on her/his e-mail ID, if it is registered with Aadhaar.
2. How to download e-PAN
- To download PAN, go to the e-Filing website of Income-tax department.
- Click the link- ‘Instant PAN through Aadhaar’.
- Click on Check Status / Download PAN.
- Submit the Aadhaar number in the space provided, then submit the OTP sent to the Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- Check the status of application, whether PAN is allotted or not.
- If PAN is allotted, click on the download link to get a copy of the e-PAN in pdf format.
- What is e-PAN? Is e-PAN a valid form of PAN?
e-PAN is a digitally signed PAN card issued in electronic format by the Income-tax department. Yes, e-PAN is a valid proof of PAN. e-PAN contains a QR code having demographic details of PAN applicant such as name, date of birth and photograph. These details are accessible through a QR code reader. e-PAN is duly recognized by Notification No. 7 of 2018 dated 27.12.2018, issued by the Principal Director General of Income-Tax (Systems). To view notification, click here.
- Who can avail this facility?
The facility is available for all those PAN applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number and have a mobile number registered in the UIDAI database which is not linked with any PAN.
- What about the cost?
The allotment process is paperless and an electronic PAN (e-PAN) is issued to the applicants free of cost.
- If I apply for e-PAN, how will I get the allotted PAN?
You can download your PAN by submitting the Aadhaar number at “Check Status of PAN”. You will also get the PAN in PDF format by your email, If your email-id is registered with Aadhaar.
- From where can I download the QR code reader?
This can be downloaded from the link provided at the website Download QR Code Reader.
- Can I use this facility if I already have a PAN? Can I apply for another PAN?
No. As per provisions of Section 272B(1) of Income Tax Act, a person having more than one PAN has to pay a penalty of Rs.10,000.
Source: Income Tax India